The 2020-2021 National Essay Contest begins on October 1st, 2020. Come back soon for more information on the theme, our partners and the scholarships available.
Click Here to see the complete list of 2019-2020 winners.
What is the National Essay Contest?
Are you in Grade 10, 11 or 12 (secondaire IV, secondaire V or Cégep 1 in Quebec) and registered in a French program?
Do you need a little boost to continue your education in French after high school?
Take part in the National Essay Contest for the chance to win a scholarship ranging between $1,000 and $12,000 in one of the following post-secondary institutions:
How to participate?
- Write a 750-word essay on this year’s theme. For the 2019-2020 edition, the theme was:
On June 17th, 2019, Canada has declared a climate emergency. If you were put in charge of leading the government, how would you respond to this emergency?
- Submit your essay between October and December by filling out our online form.
At the time of entry each entrant must indicate on their entry form into which of the two categories below he or she best fits:
Category 1: French Second Language (“FSL”): students whose first language is not French or students who are currently enrolled in Core French, Extended Core French, Basic French, French Immersion, or any other version or type of FSL program, available in their province or territory of residence, and who do not match any of the French First Language criteria.
Category 2: French First Language (“FFL”): students who satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
– whose first language is French;
– who speak, write and comprehend French with native fluency;
– who regularly speak French at home with one or both parents.
– who attend or have attended a French First Language school for more than 3 years within the past 6 years.
- Essays will be marked by a panel of French teachers and our sponsoring organization, using the Evaluation Grid
- Winners will be announced at the beginning of March following the Contest.
If you teach French in Canada and you would like to be a part of our panel of judges for 2019-2020, please reach out to us by filling out this form.