2019 NATIONAL AMBASSADOR YOUTH FORUM (FNJA) Coordinator
FRENCH FOR THE FUTURE
French for the Future is a national, not-for-profit organization committed to supporting the development of tomorrow’s bilingual leaders by encouraging high school students to study and live in French. Our programs, all in French, highlight the social and professional benefits of bilingualism and help create linguistic and cultural links between students of all backgrounds taking French as a first or as a second language across Canada.
THE NATIONAL AMBASSADOR YOUTH FORUM (FNJA)
The FNJA is held every year in a different city, and brings together 30 bilingual high school students from across Canada for four to five days jam-packed with activities. At the end of the FNJA, participants become ambassadors of French for the Future, and organize activities to promote French and official bilingualism in their communities throughout the following school year.
The 2019 FNJA will be held from August 9 to 16 in Victoria, British Colombia.
Before the FNJA:
– Help with the recruitment of the group leaders (write and share the posting on social media, specifically aimed at former ambassadors, and participate in the selection process) and act as liaison between the national office and the selected applicants
– Participate in the promotion of the FNJA during the registration period (social media, word of mouth, etc.)
– Participate in the selection process of ambassadors with the national office (watch, read and evaluate each application, make recommendations on ambassador selection)
– Review and provide input on the Pre-FNJA Guide, which will be sent to the participants by the national office.
– Create content, make postings and lead discussions in the private 2019 FNJA Facebook or Instagram group (encourage ambassadors to introduce themselves and get to know each other, share articles, music, photos, videos related to bilingualism and the Canadian Francophonie and/or in connection with the FNJA’s destination)
– In close collaboration with the Program Manager, develop the programming of the 2019 FNJA :
- Update the content of the workshops for the FNJA, using the workshops developed in previous years and develop new workshops as needed, to ensure that the FNJA remains a quality event, with relevant and interesting activities for young people. In particular, it will be necessary to ensure that workshops follow one another in a coherent way throughout the week, supporting the learning process of ambassadors.
- Participate in the selection and share ideas for the cultural activities aspect of the FNJA programming
- Distribute ambassadors into 5-6 groups, and assign a leader to each group
- If necessary, help find external speakers and contributors for the workshops that will not be directly lead by the group leaders
- Prepare “ice-breakers” and other filler activities to use during unexpected delays in programming
– Provide the national office with content related to the workshops that you would like to see appear in the Ambassador’s Guide (an earlier version will be provided for reference). This guide is used as a reference and working tool for the ambassadors, which they will use throughout the FNJA.
– Help develop and take part in a 2-day pre-FNJA training session for the group leaders
During the FNJA:
– Supervise the group leaders and be responsible, with the national office, for the ambassadors for the duration of the event
– Ensure the smooth execution of the FNJA programming with the assistance of the Program Manager
– At the beginning of each workshop, make the link with the previous workshop to highlight the coherence of the programming
– Anticipate elements of logistics required for the next workshop or the snack break
– Lead workshops
– Coordinate daily end-of-day debriefings with the group leaders and the Program Manager
– Ensure the safety and well-being of ambassadors
– Help with effective communication between the group leaders and the French for the Future team
After the FNJA:
– Complete the Coordinator’s Final Report
– High school diploma, and preferably currently enrolled in a postsecondary program in Canada
– Experience in project management and / or experience working with youth (e.g. summer camps)
– Knowledge of the Canadian Francophonie (required) and / or international Francophonie (an asset)
– Strong written and oral communication skills in French and English
– Strong leadership skills
– Excellent organizational skills
– Able to work legally in Canada
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
– Remuneration: $ 3,000 honorarium plus travel expenses from the place of residence to Victoria, British Colombia
– Part-time contract, from March 2019 to August 2019, with the bulk of the work in May and August
– The contract is signed with French for the Future
HOW TO APPLY
By February 15, 2019, send a curriculum vitae and a cover letter, written in French, by e-mail at:
to the attention of Gabrielle Frédette Fortin, Executive Director. Please indicate ” 2019 FNJA Coordinator” in the subject line.
We encourage all qualified people to apply; French for the Future values diversity in the workplace.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.