MONTREAL LOCAL FORUM COORDINATOR
French for the Future is a non-for-profit national organization that supports and motivates high school students on their path towards bilingualism. French for the Future promotes Canada’s official bilingualism and the immediate and lifelong benefits of leaning and communicating in French to students from grade 7 to 12 across Canada. French for the Future envisions a Canada in which all young people value our French heritage, appreciate francophone cultures and strive to excel in the French language.
French for the Future is looking for an event coordinator to organise the Montreal Local Forum. The chosen candidate will report to French for the Future’s Program Manager.
Organized in approximately 15 cities all across Canada each year, French for the Future Local Forums are interactive events that reunite FSL (French as a second language) and FFL (French as a first language) high school students.
Students meet and participate in a variety of workshops and interactive activities, centered around the advantages of speaking French and being bilingual. Local Forums offer participants a chance to discover and experience the cultural and professional value of bilingual education. They create a positive environment where students can put their French into practise. In addition, they also help students become aware of the options available for post-secondary education in French.
Local Forum Objectives
- To facilitate dialogue between FSL and FFL students
- To provide students with a positive environment in which to practice their French speaking skills
- To educated students on their career possibilities that come with being bilingual
- To encourage students to continue studying French
- To celebrate the French language and Francophone culture and show students the important role that French plays in Canada.
The Montreal Local Forum will take place before March 31, 2023.
Presentation of the Project
A Local Forum is an event that will take place over one day and will reunite around 300 to 500 participants.
The Local Forum is organized for students in 7th to 8th grade or 9th to 12th grade, and will bring together French as a Second Language and French as a First Language students.
The Local Forum will be composed of the following elements:
- A WOW welcome activity
- Opening ceremonies with an inspirational conference
- Interactive workshops
- Cultural activities
- Closing ceremonies
The Coordinator will invite postsecondary institutions and organisations that promote programs of interest to students (ex. Explore) to host a booth during the event.
- Schedule the French for the future Montreal Local Forum
- Plan and coordinate the logistics connected to the organization of the Local Forum
- Raise funds to supplement event funding if required
- Promote the Montreal Local Forum to Montreal area school boards, curriculum coordinators and teachers to recruit 300-500 students to participate in the event
- Collaborate with the national French for the Future office to assure the promotion of the event on social media platforms
- Work collaboratively with volunteers and external professionals (French for the Future ambassadors, youth committee, teachers and school board representatives) to ensure success for the Forum
- Negotiate with suppliers
- Effectively manage a budget for the Local forum
- Prepare and coordinate planning meetings
- Prepare all correspondence and handle administrative matters regarding each event, ensuring accurate and detailed records are maintained.
- Complete an intermediate and final event report
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in event management
- Bilingualism (French/English) is mandatory: high skill level in written and oral communication of both languages
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Sponsorship research experience
- Technological Skills
- Google Drive (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides)
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Video-conferencing platform (ex. Zoom)
- Ability to communicate and to work effectively in collaboration with multiple people
- Versatility and exceptional ability to effectively adapt to change, take on numerous tasks, manage a budget and meet deadlines
- Takes initiative (with supporting evidence) and is very motivated
- Able to work independently without supervision
- Knowledge of local schools/boards/environment etc.
- Must complete a police background check to be able to work with vulnerable persons
- Preferably lives in the Montreal region
- Contract is from December 1, 2022 till April 30, 2023
- Flexible schedule, that will be equivalent to 1.5 to 2 days of work per week
- Remote Working
- $6,000 honorarium plus a fundraising commission
How to Apply
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter (in French) before the 15th of November 2022 to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org for Emeline Leurent, Executive Director for French for the Future.
Please indicate in the subject of the email “Event Coordinator of Montreal Local Forum”.
Candidates must be able to work legally in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
French for the Future is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.